Last Updated on February 12, 2021 by Laura
March 2 marks the birthday of one of the most influential children’s author/illustrators in history! Theodor Seuss Geisel has helped many kiddos learn to read with his rhyming, colorful, rhythmic stories. This blog post is full of Dr. Seuss activities and ideas! We like to celebrate Dr. Seuss in March during a special Literacy Week. It is a fun way to promote reading and to help make your library the center of your school!
This post contains Amazon affiliate links for your convenience. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small stipend at no cost to you.
- Kindergarten: Read Dr. Seuss’s ABC , then rotate through stations with the puzzles and playing memory using the Cat in the Hat number flashcards.
- Second Grade: Read a short article about Dr. Seuss from Enchanted Learning and take notes on a notetaking page that I created.
- Third, Fourth and Fifth Graders: Play Literacy Week Trivia! This game is really fun for the older students because they have read so many of his books. I give the winning teams a prize from the bag (pencils, erasers, and bookmarks from Target).
- All Grades: Look at photographs of Theodor Seuss Geisel from World Book Online and World Almanac Kids as part of our Primary Source of the Week activity.
School Wide Activities
- Vote for favorite books by signing a page on the bulletin board above. Even the adults want to pick their favorites!
- Green Eggs and Ham is usually served in the cafeteria for lunch!
- Character dress up days are always a fun choice. When we do this, I like to offer a photo opportunity in the library.
- Use the Cat Cam app to take fun photos with Seuss characters and backgrounds. It’s fun to share those as a slide show on the big screen during check out times!
If you’d like to add a fun, engaging activity to your celebrations, try this Literacy Week Trivia Game! This exciting game in 3 rounds will have your students cooperating on teams to answer questions about some of Dr. Seuss’s most well known books. Take a look at the preview now!